Custom Search

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What's in a name?

Every musician has his muse, and there are hundreds of songs out there to prove it. Songs named for women are nothing new, and it’s fun to imagine that the musician is singing just for you for three minutes. Oh wait, I have no idea what that’s like. I realize that nothing rhymes with Lindsey, but come on! So until I inspire my own song (hint, hint to all the musicians out there), here are my top 10 girl name songs. Click the links to go to videos of the songs.


“Dirty Diana” Micheal Jackson

While “Billie Jean” may be MJ’s more famous girl-name song, this song is way cooler. It’s dark and dirty, and if I were ever to find myself on a stage taking off my clothes for money, it would be to this song.


“Hey There Delilah” Plain White T’s

This sweet little pop ballad single-handedly launched the Plain White T’s to super stardom and made every girl want to be named Delilah.


“Eleanor Rigby” The Beatles

One of my absolute favorite Beatles songs, I would almost name one of my far-off in the future kids Eleanor after this song. Amidst all the ooh's and ahh's it has such a powerful message and darkness.


“Jolene” Dolly Parton

The angst in this song about a woman’s fear Jolene will take her man is so right on. No wonder it’s been covered by everyone from The White Stripes to Mindy Smith.


“Mambo #5” Lou Bega

I can remember having this song stuck in my head for days! But how is it possible that even with all those names, there is no Lindsey?


“Molly’s Chambers” Kings of Leon

Even though this song is from the early days of Kings of Leon, it’s still one of their best tracks.


“Mary Jane’s Last Dance” Tom Petty

So it may not exactly be about a girl, but everyone knows the words to this one.


“Ophelia” The Band

It’s true I’ve never actually met anyone named Ophelia, but this song is a classic. (I couldn't find a video of the song played by The Band, so the clip is from the movie about them, "The Last Waltz")


“Roxanne” The Police

I will unabashedly admit my love for Sting, but I like this song because it makes for a great drinking game. Just take a sip every time he says Roxanne, and you will be good to go.


“My Sharona” The Knack

I love love love love this song. (Read that in the same tune as the song) It never fails to make me wanna dance.


Honorable mention girl name songs:

“Gracie” Ben Folds

“Jane Says” Jane’s Addiction

“Jenny Don’t Be Hasty” Paolo Nutini

“Jessica” Allman Brothers Band

“Hey Jude” The Beatles

“Layla” Derek and the Dominoes

“Meg White” Ray LaMontagne

“Sweet Melissa” Allman Brothers Band

“Maria” Rage Against the Machine

“Mustang Sally” Wilson Pickett

“Victoria” The Kinks

“Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots” The Flaming Lips


What are your favorite songs about girls? Or guys?



-Lindsey Lee

Currently listening to: “My Love” by The Bird and The Bee

This content is solely the property of The Athens Blur Magazine and may not be re-produced without expressed written consent. The Athens Blur Magazine is an 8 issue/year music & variety publication proud to be based in the Classic City of Athens, Ga. For more information, please contact editorial@athensblur.com

No comments:

Post a Comment