Custom Search

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

8 Best Summer Songs


8 Best Summer Songs


So here in Athens, we skipped spring and went straight from winter to summer.  Though I’m stuck inside, my mind is floating in a pool with popsicle stained lips.  So here is my list of songs that take me right back to lightning bugs, lazy days, and that summer crush.   In no particular order...



“Cruel Summer” by Bananarama

Such a dark little ditty. I imagine myself dancing to this in a sweaty club with a stranger while my boyfriend is out of town.


“Summer Lovin’” Grease

Okay, I know, it’s cheesy. But I used to know every word to every song in Grease, and this song will forever remind me of summer.


“Holy Roller Novocaine” by Kings of Leon

Back in high school in Nashville, I had just figured out who Kings of Leon was when Youth and Young Manhood came out. This song played at summer house parties where we drank cheap Natty and vodka mixed with Gatorade.


“Love Shack” by the B52’s

I vividly remember a sea-side beach party where everyone was dancing to this song. How could you not?


“American Pie” by Don McClean

Though I wouldn’t consider myself a “good ole boy” I can’t help but turn this one up with my windows down, lamenting the day the music died.


“Kids” by MGMT

Last summer, this song was on constant repeat in my car and on my iPod. Some of my friends are convinced that the kids voices are actually seagulls. Anyway, this song is a perfect soundtrack for lazy summer days.


“Centerfield” by John Fogerty

Since I’m not good at playing baseball, this song really pumps up my kickball game. Oh, and I guess I get sort of excited about those Braves, or whatever, too.


“Santeria” by Sublime

There is something about Sublime that makes me think of high school summers, when I would drive around thinking I was so cool. This is my favorite Sublime song, and it always takes me back to happy place.



What am I missing?



-Lindsey Lee

Currently listening to: “Sleeping Dogs” by Madeline


This content is solely the property of The Athens Blur Magazine and may not be re-produced without expressed written consent. The Athens Blur Magazine is an 8 issue/year music & variety publication proud to be based in the Classic City of Athens, Ga. For more information, please contact editorial@athensblur.com

1 comment: