Custom Search

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A 'Happy Little Hippie Song' Breaks Records

Jason Mraz

Jason Mraz has spent the last two years promoting his recent, platinum -selling CD , We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. He’s spent the past five playing his “happy little hippie song” to crowds across the country.

As a fan of Jason Mraz, I’ve always admired his ability to mesh a light-hearted melody with profound, introspective lyrics- and it seems I’m not the only one.

“I’m Yours” has hung out on the Billboard Hot 100 for an impressive (and record-breaking) 71 weeks. The song first charted in May 2008 and reached No. 6 in September 2008. Mraz’s 71- week success now puts LeAnn Rimes’ hit, “How Do I Live” in mere second place.

According to Reuters, his song is the only track to reach No.1 on Adult Contemporary, Mainstream and Triple A (Adult Album Alternative) radio-based charts. It’s also up for “Song of the Year” at this year’s Grammy Awards-no small feat.
However, Mr. A-Z has never been one to take all the credit.

“I don’t feel like I’ve crossed a finish line. I don’t feel like I’ve sweated it out for the past 70 weeks,” Mraz told the Associated Press, “I feel like the song is just doing its thing and it was a real gift.”

As for the fans, we’ll just continue to enjoy this “gift” for a while to come- singing along in our cars, humming the ever-so –catchy melody in the shower, and cross our fingers for a Grammy.

Jason’s album, which includes his record-breaking song, along with tour dates can be found on his website.

-Ashley Thompson
currently listening to "Under My Voodoo" by Sublime

This content is solely the property of The Athens Blur Magazine and may not be re-produced without expressed written consent. The Athens Blur Magazine is an 8 issue/year music & variety publication proud to be based in the Classic City of Athens, Ga. For more information, please contact editorial@athensblur.com

No comments:

Post a Comment